Our first family tree is all decorated and bringing holiday cheer to our home. This year I went and did something I've never, ever done in my life...I put colored lights on my tree. I grew up with white or blue lights but never white, so I always put white on my tree. In the past I've experimented with red/white or red/green or just red but this year, I don't know why, but I decided to put colored on. Brad always had colored growing up but never in our 8 years of marriage has he asked for colored lights. So on they went and almost as fast as they were up I almost took them down. I hated them. But I said I'd give it a couple of days to see if they would grow on me. Well, they're still on there but so are white and red. :) But I'd have to say they look pretty.
And on top of the colored lights I decorated different too. I figured I've had so much change in my life this year I'd mine as well change Christmas too. Again growing up we tended to have a themed tree every year with a few personal ornaments here and there. So I did the same with our trees until this year, this year we have ornaments on our tree that we've been given over the years or I've purchased. And I love it! The tree means so much more to me this year. When I look at each ornament the memories of what that ornament means come flooding through. I told Brad that we starting a new tradition...we are going to buy three ornaments each year, 1) for Chase 2) one for me from Brad, and 3) one for Brad from me. Each ornament needs to represent something special that happened during the year, a special memory about that person or a memory/event shared. Of course this year Chase will get one that will say Chase's First Christmas or something like that.
3 comments:
Dawn I love that you are branching (no pun intended!) out with your Christmas tree traditions. Growing up my mom always gave each us an ornament as a stocking stuffer, so I had a good collection when I got married. Every year I look forward to unwrapping them, because they all have a different memory. TJ and I started to collect an ornament from different places we have traveled to-ex. we have a little cruise ship from our honeymoon, a glass palm tree from FL, etc. As you said, it's about tradition, and making the day special, and finding your own ways to do that.
Keep up the tradition of gifting ornaments. We started the tradition, but failed to keep up with it over the years. I really regret that now.
Dawn, you're tree is beautiful, and most important, it's yours!! Like others, my parents gave us girls an ornament every year growing up, so I had plenty when David and I were married. And now, David and I give the boys one every year as well! It's so fun to unwrap them every year, and remember the memories!
Post a Comment