We've tried a few different ways and tonight for the second or third time we tried the cry-it-out method. The only thing is, Chase never cries himself to sleep. He just gets more upset. He cried for an hour and a half tonight. I went up every 15 minutes, turned on his musical glow worm and rubbed his back. He fussed and cooed himself to sleep and then as soon as I stopped he started again. So I left again for 15 minutes. Brad didn't want me to give in but my heart ached and I finally did. I love to comfort him and don't want him to dislike sleep. I googled "spare not for their crying" and came across an interesting blog. She uses some NIV and I don't necessarily believe all her views but it gave me some perspective. I feel guilty enough working full-time that I hate to make him "cry-it-out" when I can cuddle and comfort him. He is a natural cuddler, which I love.
I just continue to pray and that God will help me help him. I pray for patience and hope that someday soon Chase will sleep through the night and be able to go down for bed easier.
I thought this was cute and something I need to continuously remind myself as Chase grows so fast right before my eyes.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
Author Unknown
5 comments:
I used to have that poem on my kitchen wall when we lived in Phelps and I had only four babies. I've got 11 years of dust built up now - just kidding. ;)
Don't you hate feeling like a guilty, inadequate mother? I am thankful to be a Christian and be able to trust in the Lord with my babies. They can be such a mystery and we mommies can beat ourselves up so badly. I wish I had an answer for you, but all I can say is that I'll pray for you tonight.
Love, Amy
I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in this situation and how you feel. My girls were never "cry it out" babies. I tried and just like Chase it just upset them more. And like you I value my bedtime cuddle time with all my babies since I have worked all day. I still lay with my 3 yr. old and I still hold Eli until he falls asleep. And if they wake up in the middle of the night they are always welcome in our bed. The way I look at is...they are only little once and the next thing you know you have an almost 13 yr. old and you just can't believe that time has gone by that fast. Just live life and don't sweat the small stuff. I know that's not much help but things will work out. :)
Hey Dawn! My sister, Carrie, is reading your blog with me and she has a "sure-fire" solution for your problem. So, here it is: Let him scream and invest in a good pair of earplugs...worked for her (still does!). HA-HA!!
It's hard letting your baby cry. It's especially hard for your first, I think. I wish I had the "magic" trick that would work, but all babies are different. Letting them cry for a few nights worked for 2 out of 4 of my children. My other 2 taught themselves to fall asleep without my help, praise God.
I could always recommend the old standby...duct tape. :)
I'll be thinking of you tonight.
Oh, I missed this post somehow. Sorry. With Kaleb, I keep reminding myself that he'll grow out of it... eventually.
Both my girls were taught to cry it out around Chases age. I haven't reached my limit with Kaleb yet. He's still my "newborn". Plus he's still sleeping right next to me.
Kenny did put a folded up sleeping bag under that hard mattress in the pack and play. Thanks for the idea though.
We'll be praying for each other tonight!
Post a Comment