I marvel everyday on how God finds ways to speak to me and encourage me if it be through family, friends, His Word, books, etc.
Today was just a normal Monday, I worked, Brad worked and that was about it, until Chase's bedtime.
Chase from the time he was born has not been a simple child when it comes to bedtime. And now that we are in the 'terrific' two's, it's that much greater, mainly the whole going to bed routine, and a routine we have too.
I've come to realize that Chase thrives on schedules and wants to know what to expect. This is so not me, I am more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of schedule. But I am so learning how to live on a schedule, difficult as it may be.
So to help mentally and physically prepare him for bed, I came up with Chase' Bedtime List. It's long and it takes about 30 minutes to complete, thereabout. We do the same thing every.single.night, but he loves to know and "read" what's next on his list, even though he has it memorized. It's kind of reverse psychology I guess, he's kind of putting himself to bed.
We go down the list one by one until the very end, Brad or I or the both us say our goodnights, turn off the light and walk out of his room. And no sooner do we shut the door does he yell out something..."sing me one more song, I'm hungry, I have to go potty/poopie." It's usually something that he knows we "can't" say no to, you know potty, we can't have him poop his diaper.
Even after I revised his checklist to combat him trying to squeeze in a last try, he still gave it a try. It's that strong-will of his. Well, without going into full details of the night, we let him scream it out even if he woke up Callen, which he did twice. Poor Callen.
Well as I was downstairs listening him to scream/cry, no monitor needed, I was trying to read my devotions. And well guess what the title of today was...This Too Shall Pass.
The entire post was about an exasperated mother who had been up all hours of the night and questioning..."Do children every sleep through the night?"
The devotion was written around Ecclesiastes 3 and "To everything there is a season..." In a nutshell the author spoke how God puts up through all kinds of "seasons" and there is a purpose for every event and circumstance that God allows to enter our lives. And this season I am in seems to be never-ending but as I read, I was reminded..."But through it all--sometimes after it all--you will look back and see that faithful Creator's hand at work. Remember, creating beauty out of ashes is God's specialty. It's all a matter of timing."
Even though this season seems to be forever, I know God has something wonderful at the end and will get us through without allowing the "terrific" two's to rule. And to help me with our gifted child, I am reading "The New Strong-Willed Child" by Dr. James Dobson. It's a great read so far and very insightful.
So what did we do tonight? No, we didn't answer his every cry out, we didn't go back in his room at all, no matter how much he screamed or yelled. Some may say you're crazy....punish him, cuddle him, whatever. But every child is different and this is what needed to be done. In the hour and 45 minutes that he yelled and screamed, we heard...
...sing me another song.
...I have to go potty.
...I have to go poopy.
...something scared me.
...I don't want to be up hear anymore.
...I'm hungry.
...I don't like my bed.
...I want chicken nuggets.
...throwing his drink.
...hitting the door.
And finally, silence.
I don't know what we accomplished, if anything, it's very frustrating when you don't know if you're doing it right. One day, hopefully, I will look at this time and laugh, well smile maybe, and know that no one has the right answer or the perfect answer. Every child is different, no matter what and prayers are daily, but I can't wait to see what God has planned for this precious, strong-willed, smart-as-a-whip little boy. Well, I can wait because time goes by too fast and I will cherish every moment, even nights like tonight.
3 comments:
Loved your post. It's so true.
I have a very specific memory of thinking along these lines while in labor for Brianna. I kept thinking, "Labor will soon be over and in the blink of an eye she'll be running around the house. " How true that is!!! She's turning 8 this March!
It's rough trying to figuring out what's going to work with different children. People can give advice-sometimes it's helpful, sometimes annoying. :)
I hope you find your answer soon...or Chase just "caves" in.
LOL Oh, Dawn your posts make me laugh sometimes. I love the list of "Chase complaints" or, his way of trying to wiggle his way out of bedtime. :-) I can laugh because TJ and I are in the midst of parenting ourselves with kids very close in age to you and Brad's. Jack is a very scheduled oriented boy as well, and does much better when our daily routine follows a pattern. It will be interesting to see what his sister will be like. Anyway, my mom used to always say that phrase to me, and yes, "this, too, shall pass" indeed! :-)
hang in there Dawn! parenting has sooo many challenges, just think how much you've learned from Chase, and now you can feel like a pro with Callen....well maybe not really pro, but hopefully it will be easier!
Post a Comment