Friday, November 5, 2010

Day Five: I am thankful for...my cozy home

Oh I am so thankful for my warm and cozy home. It was a wet and cold day today and I was home with the boys. I had plans to bake apple and pumpkin pies but a little voice calls out..."Mommy play with me." So instead of cleaning, baking or cooking, I played with a two year old all day. We mainly played with blocks, I build the tower and Chase throws "rocks" at them to knock them down. I had to set him straight in the very beginning that he was not to knock them down until I said go. And if he did, I wasn't go to play. He got it.

We also played "rescue the animals", where I built blocks around a certain animal, giraffe, polar bear etc. I would build a big tower and a runway for Thomas the Train to run down and CRASH the tower to rescue the animal in the basement to take them back to their home, be it the zoo, Atlantic ocean or safari. The entire wild animals family was rescued today.

But I digress. My cozy home. Since it was a bit chilly I started a fire, which is the cozy part about our home, sometimes too cozy. I love our wood burning furnace when it's going but sometimes not so much when I have to actually start the fire. It usually takes me a few times to get in the groove again after summer but then I'm an 'ol pro. However, when I was pregnant with both boys, I surely did not enjoy getting it started. It's not the most comfortable thing squatting to put paper and wood and then watching it to get it started when your belly is huge. But it's well worth it when I'm done.

Being thankful for my cozy home. I must remind myself sometimes to be thankful for our home especially since being home more often. I mean, I notice more the more I am here, you know like all the nuisances that comes with owning a home. Fixing this, fixing that, upgrading this and that. But I will say most of them I have created such as ripping out the carpet so now I have projects created because of that. There have been some days that I have become totally overwhelmed because of my projects. This is where I must remember to finish what I start, a weakness I continue to improve on, unfortunately it runs in the family.

I am learning to be content and thankful for my cozy home. I mean this house used to hold a family of 12, yes my little house fit 10 kids and a mom and dad. When I heard this I couldn't believe it. When we first moved in I met one of our neighbors who has been here for years and is the road neighbor, meaning she knows everyone. But she knew the history of this house...her husband grew up in the house.

His parents immigrated from Holland with all the kids and they lived in our house. (He still wears his wooden shoes around, they are the most comfortable for him.) And our house was originally built as the tenant house for the house behind us in the valley that is an old farmhouse and owned many acres on our road. Our house and the house behind us in the valley are two of the oldest homes. I was so excited to hear the history, it was so interesting. I invited our neighbor over to see it now and she couldn't believe it, an addition was added in the 50's/60's and nothing was the same. Again, it was so neat to hear her tell what used to be what. So cool.

Anyway, I guess this "thankful" post was for me and to remind me of how blessed we are and to be content, nuisances and all.

Day Five: I am thankful for my warm and cozy home.

No comments: