Sunday, January 3, 2010

I think I have an addiction...

An addiction to cookbooks, cooking magazines, recipes etc. I've always enjoyed baking and cooking even if I didn't experiment with new recipes all the time. But I have come to realize that I seem be addicted to "collecting"anything with a recipe in it that I would like to "try." I once had subscriptions to Taste of Home, Simple and Delicious, Quick Cooking, and Cooking Pleasures. All of which I no longer receive because I was getting overwhelmed and never got to try recipes as often as I wanted.

I have been in orginazation mode since I've been off the past week and a half. The baby's room isn't going to sort, organize and clean itself. But all these cooking magazines were actually in my very antique china cabinet in the kitchen for awhile and it was on my list to organize...sometime. Well, the sometime came today. I took them ALL out and laid them on the floor to organize.
Wow, I have A LOT, more than I realized. I do use them almost on a weekly basis but not all because I didn't realize how many I had. But they are now organized into 3-ring binders by magazine and a binder for Christmas magazines. Now I just need a Dymo to label them. That's next on the list....labeling.

Even though I no longer have subscriptions to any of the above mentioned magazines, I still do receive two cooking magazines, Wegmans and Kraft Food and Family, but these are free so I don't count them. :)
My addiction doesn't end with cooking magazines it also includes cookbooks. Goodness, I have many but you really need too. You know for different seasons, holidays etc.
I have two that are just slow cooker cookbooks, perfect for our loooong winters. Smoothie recipe book, Betty Crocker, which everyone must own as well as Joy of Cooking and....the list goes on. I find that whenever I stop at a garage sale and see a cookbook I have to check it out but not always buy it. :) However, when the book guy stops by at work, I almost always get sucked in. They are such a steal and good books.
No more. Starting this year I hope to plan most of our weekly meals from each of these magazines. I usually pick one or two anyway but I must stick to it on a weekly basis and not to buy anymore cookbooks from the book guy.
And I said I don't collect anything. LOL.
As I was writing this I just remembered I have a box full of Pillsbury magazines too. Some are my own and others that my Grandma gave to me. One of the only things I received, her cookbooks and food processor...the best gifts.

4 comments:

kauffeegrl said...

Sooo reminds me of my own "addiction"! I don't have nearly as many cookbooks, but I have been guilty of collecting recipes I wanted to "try". My method now is to keep the page I tore out of a magazine clipped with a big magnetized clip on my fridge, and when I've made it, if we liked it, it will go in the keeper pile. Otherwise, it gets tossed. I didn't know there was a whole book for smoothies, though, hmmm...:-)

Stacy said...

Too funny! I collect but never use them. I have good intentions just never organized enough to get all the ingredients. I'm hoping that someday I can get to the point that I can plan menus and carry them out.

Queenb said...

Well at least you can say your addiction is better for you than mine! That is too funny LOL!

Julia said...

Oh doesn't it feel good to be organized? I can't wait to be organized again in my new home!