Thursday, October 15, 2009

My 1st Preggar Emotial Breakdown

Now I am not an extremely emotional person but we all know that the preggar hormones really change things. But I truly believe tonight's breakdown is 17 months of frustrations and lack of sleep coming to a head.

It's been an hour and a half that Brad and I have been trying to get Chase back to bed. He woke up crying around 9:30 and we thought he'd just fall back asleep. Wrong. So we both went up to calm him down, he was so upset. Everytime he wakes up like this so many questions run through my head...is he just being naughtly? Are his teeth hurting? Does he have a tummy ache? Is he hungry? Why? What would cause him to be so upset?

Rubbing his back doesn't work so we, Brad, finally gives in and picks him up to console him. He's happy, wants his D and relaxes. But you know how that always ends. He cries as soon as you put him down.

So I put some Orajel on his top two molars that are 1/4 way through, he relaxes a bit but still upset. Does he have a tummy ache because he had a toasted cheese a half before bed? Did he have a bad dream? What? It's so frustrating. I wish he could tell us if he's uncomfortable or just being naughty. "Yes mommy I am being naughty."

But really. After everything, Orajel, singing, rocking, rubbing back and finally Tylenol. But still nothing...no consoling to sleep. So I finally reverted to swatting his leg every time he stood up. I hate to do this but usually when he is uncontrollable this works and he goes to sleep. Not tonight.

Finally I just started crying and went downstairs. The only person that understands is Brad. We go to bed every single night wondering what time will he get up? Will he go right down or will it be an ordeal? Will it be in the middle of the night, 4am, 5am etc. We pray every night with Chase for him to sleep well. I just don't understand. Is he this way because of something we did when he was a baby?

I just cried and said this is why I am not as excited for baby #2. I can't handle both being that way, or as soon as the baby cries in the middle of the night will Chase wake up and need to be consoled too. Brad nor I will ever see the back of our eyelids for more than a few hours a night. I told Brad that he needs to fast and pray for Chase and his sleeping habits. I would but I must eat.

As I type this at 11pm, Chase is standing in front of me with a big smile and his toothbrush in his hand. "Teeth, daddy teeth." Because him and daddy are brushing their teeth. From the big smile and happiness, you would never have known that for the past 90 minutes he has been upset. But now what? Brad and I are going to bed....

3 comments:

stacy said...

Been there. Many times. Nights like this it's hard to imagine that it could ever get any better but these years go by so fast. And when he finally gives in, and you're watching him sleep, you'll remember why all of this is worth it.
Sleep well tonight :)

Michelle said...

I feel your pain!!! My first two are 13.5 months apart, and neither were good sleepers. (My younger two were very good sleepers. YAY!)

Those first two years seem to be very blurry to me because I was always tired. I look back on some video and pictures and remind myself that I wasn't always miserable and they weren't always cranky.

Thankfully, Chase seems to be a pretty good-natured boy when he's awake, but I remember how rough it is when you get little sleep.

Stacy's right...it's tough, but worth it. Hang in there it will get better.

I actually did better once I had 2 babies instead of just one. I have no idea why... Maybe because the crying didn't bother me as much. :)

Queenb said...

Hmmm, can I just say been there, done that with CJ. Although he was bad, it wasn't for 17 months. Or at least that I can remember, LOL. I know you've tried CIO with going in to check on him every 10mins or so, but have you just let him cry without going in at all? That was the only thing that ever worked with CJ. We never went in b/c it would just get him worked up all over again. It was very tough, I cried many nights listening, but he had to be trained somehow. He was miserable b/c he wasn't sleeping at all. And if you want him to learn to put himself back to sleep after the new baby comes, you have to crack down on some method. CJ finally stopped getting out of bed and asking for us right before I had Ella. And yes, as one of your friends already commented, you get used to the crying with number 2, that is for sure. Ella was so much easier b/c I learned from all my mistakes and that crying is perfectly ok. It's the only way some kids learn how to sleep, is doing it the tough way.

Other than letting him really cry and not going in, I don't know what else you could possibly do. I know you've tried everything and it's tough. But he's old enough to know now that you guys give in when he's upset, so let him know who's boss. He just needs a little help that's all.

I hope something I said helps. You can always ask or cry on my shoulder....I have had many sleepless nights with both kids for different reasons. I can only offer my advice for what worked for me, but it doesn't mean it will work for you. Sometimes just listening to someone else say I've been there helps.

I hope it gets better for you. It was hard for me to get used to the lack of sleep when Ella came around and I couldn't nap when she did b/c I had to stay up and be with CJ. But it does go by soooo fast! Let me know if you need anything. I am always here, even if you need to nap and I can help watch Chase. I'm always home.