Really, I can. It amazes me sometimes how much of a will a wee little 17 month old can have. I appreciate everyone's advice, words of wisdom and comfort. Over the past 17 months I have tried all of the above and the one I guess I really haven't done too much is...crying it out. And the only reason for that, for the most part, is that I do hate to hear him cry when I know he is such a happy, little boy...95% of the time. But for some reason lately bedtime, more specifically putting him to bed, has been difficult.
Our normal bedtime routine winds him down and he is begging to go to sleep but not this past week. It has been a fight each night. So since my emotions are stable tonight, he's just going to cry. He was fine and almost asleep when I left his room but 10 minutes later....mommy, daddy. Brad said, "I'll go up." and I said, "no". There is nothing wrong with him so crying it out he will. Maybe I didn't let him wind down enough but that's neither here nor there.
The last time I let him cry it out, it was 1.5 hours before, well, he never did cry himself to sleep. I ended up going up there, wiping his nose and laying him down. He fell asleep then. That's another reason why I hate letting him cry it out....snot. He always has so much snot on his face from crying. We'll see how long it takes tonight. We're already at a half hour and he is going just as loud. I really do hate this. I just wish I knew what changed in him going to sleep so easy, he might have still woken up in the night but at least bedtime wasn't difficult.
Update: It is now 10:15 and not a peep. So after two hours, he gave up. I checked on him once after and hour and he was so mad there was no settling down. He so wanted me to pick him up and I so wanted too, but I didn't.
I checked on him and he is sound asleep with his bumper all squished up. Let's hope we don't have to do that again. That was not fun.
2 comments:
I hear you, Dawn. We had to go through that when Jack was first born, and it was really hard to listen to him cry. But if you just stay strong, he will eventually learn that this is bedtime. Jack has slept consistently through the night since about 8 weeks, and it's only because we stuck to our guns! If he needs to be comforted, we do pick him up, rock him a little, burp him (still nursing) and then back to bed. We don't rock him till he falls asleep, and if he is taken care of (warm, fed, changed, etc.) cry it out he must. It WILL get better. Stay strong and consistent-praying for you!
Well, I'm not surprised he cried for so long. Him and CJ both are so strong willed. But, I am really hoping this is what does the trick. It is tough, you are very right. Forget the snot part, just hearing the cry is no fun at all even tho you know it's for a good reason. Hopefully tomorrow night is better and then before you know it, he may not fuss at all when going down. I am so proud of you, Dawnie! But, for you and Brad's sanity, you are doing a good thing and sleep is so important especially for you and the little one that's growing inside you. You most of all need your sleep!
Post a Comment