Monday, October 11, 2010

Grape picking, Grape pie....

Apple pie and Chicken Pot pie...all in one day, plus a walk in the woods and playing with friends. Days like today make me so thankful that I am able to stay home with my babies five days of the week.

The morning started out just plain and simple with nothing planned for the day. It wasn't until about 10:30 when we went for our morning walk/jog. We down the hill and saw the bulldozer and horses and on our way back up the hill I decided to go off-roading into the woods. I've always wanted to follow a trail that went into the woods but just never did. Well today we did and had a nice nature walk. I actually went in there with the purpose of finding two branches to use as curtain rods for Callen's room, picture to follow someday.

Chase got out of the stroller and helped me find a stick and he needed a stick too for his room even though he doesn't have any curtains. :) After our nature walk, we headed back home. As we walked up the driveway I remembered that we had some yummy Concord grapes that needed picking.

We've been here for four years and I never knew we had grapes. Brad found them while mowing and they're not even hidden, we just never noticed. I just love free, fresh organic fruits and vegetables.

The grapes were all over, as well as were the bees. They smelled so sweet and apparently the bees thought so too. I was just extra careful in picking the clusters as to not grab a bee too. We picked so many, enough for two pies, and there are still more to be picked. Callen chillin' while Chase and I picked grapes.

The loot.
So what do you do with all these grapes? We certainly wouldn't eat all of them so I decided to make a grape pie and that's what we did. It was going to be the first time and I had no idea how to go about it. I went to my all time fave recipe site, allrecipes.com, and searched grape pie and found this amazing, easy recipe. Chase helped me too. I told him we were going to make pies and of course all the questions pursued...what's in a pie? I told him we needed to make crust. What's in crust? Flour, shortening, egg..etc. He then says, I need to go get "flour" for the crust as he wanders over to the fence to pick a flower for our crust. LOL. He's so cute.

Squeezing the pulp from skins, a step I had no idea you had to do. Very interesting. After boiling the pulp and milling it back into the skins to keep the seeds out and then mixing in the flour and sugar. Voila! A grape pie. I cut my piece a little early and it ran but it was oh so yummy. The chicken pot pie.
Oh, and then I also made an apple pie. I am so excited that ALL three came out delicious, the crust and the fillings. I had planned on making 10 crusts so I could freeze them but I ran out of shortening and eggs.

No comments: