Later when I got married, that old, outdated food processor came with me. It traveled to all six places that we lived until we settled here on Cambier Rd. I'd had used it off and on in the past 8 years but never really thought about it until the other day.You see my grandma passed away 6 years ago while we were living in Florida. I am the oldest granddaughter and spent alot of time with my grandma, I would ride my bike to town and visit with her during the summer. So when she passed away, I was hoping to receive a keepsake of hers such as a piece of jewelry so that someday I could pass it on. Well, since I was away, I guess I was out of sight and forgotten and everything went to my 5 & 6 year old cousins...go figure. I was very upset and hurt but moved on. Things aren't important, it's the memories I have that they don't. But that is besides the point.
Back to the food processor. Before Chase came along I decided a long time ago to breastfeed and make my own baby food. The thought of feeding him his first foods that came from a factory and mass produced, then sat on some grocery shelf for weeks to months didn't seem right or fair. So I steamed some carrots, apples, cooked some squash etc. to start preparing his meals. So to do this I needed to puree it...out comes the old, outdated food processor. As I was pureeing the apples, it dawned on me. All these years later, here I was pureeing food for my first baby in the old, outdated food processor that my grandmother gave to me years ago. It made my heart tingle as I stood there looking at it. My grandma may have never met any of her great grandkids, but she met Chase through spirit and my memories as I pushed start.

Who needs jewerly to remember my grandma when I have an old, outdated food processor.
Dedicated to my grandma...the story teller. 

3 comments:
great story and such a great Mom you are to be making your own baby food. Good for you.
Aww, that's great story Dawn!! Such a cool thing to pass down to maybe even your children someday.
Yup, I think Grandma would be mighty pleased. :)
Post a Comment