Monday, February 8, 2010

On a smoothie kick...

So it seems every time I am pregnant I get on a smoothie kick and have to have one just about every morning. I have a great smoothie book but sometimes/usually I don't have all the ingredients so I've been making smoothies out of whatever I am in the mood for. So far I have come up with two of my own that are very yummy and pretty filling. Since I never measure, it's kind of a taste testing. Sometimes it feels like I am making a catch all soup, whatever sounds good, but a smoothie instead.

My two favorites so far is a yummy Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie and my own version of an Orange Julius. Chase loves both and they are really pretty good for him.

So what's in a Peanut Butter Smoothie?
Again, since I don't measure, the following are just guessing and eyeing.

2 Tbs or so of Peanut Butter, preferably JIF. :)
1/3 cup of All Natural Yogurt. I used Vanilla but would rather use Plain, less sugar.
1/2 to whole banana
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of milk, all depends on how thick you want it to be.
Squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup, tsp or so. Only if you want a hint of chocolate flavor.

Blend all together.

Depending on the exact ingredients you use this can be pretty low-fat, low-sugar or the exact opposite. When I make it for Chase, I use full-fat pb and whole milk, same for me except for 2% milk. It is pretty filling since it is packed with protein and a banana.

Now on to the Salatino Orange Julius.

I do enjoy orange juice but I have never been able to drink a glass of it, maybe 2 oz. or so at a time, it always gives me a bellyache. So while I was making our Sunday breakfast, french toast this week, I decided I wanted some OJ and an Orange Julius popped in my head. Now those of you that have ever had an Orange Julius know just how delightful they are and I wanted one but really had no idea what was in them. But figured I could come up with something.

Salatino Orange Julius

10 or so ice cubes
1/2 cup to cup of milk
1/2 cup or so of orange juice, preferably with pulp
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt
3-4 slices of an orange
1/2 tsp. or so of orange peel

Blend all together.

It turns out with a yummy froth on top. Both boys enjoyed this yummy concoction with their french toast.

I just googled Orange Julius recipe and mine is nothing like the recipes I found. I know mine isn't as thick but it tastes more fresh. I guess you could put a whole orange in but I saved it for lunch and used orange peel to give it more orange flavor.

Both smoothies obviously can be adapted to your own tastes, stronger PB flavor or more orange flavor, either way they are both yummy and you should try them.

Drop me a comment if you get a chance to try one of these, if you so dare.

I wonder what I will make tomorrow, I have a whole pineapple waiting to be cut, maybe pineapple....

2 comments:

carrie said...

Yum the orange julius sounds fabulous. I love smoothies for yummy fruit treat. We often make them in the morning too when we are running late- we add whatever frozen/fresh fruit we have on hand and some extra protein powder. I'll have to try this one!

♥ Amy said...

Drinking my breakfast smoothie right now and thinking of you. I don't think I could do the pb one, but the orange sounds like something Chris and I both might like. Well, Chris would make me add sugar to his, but he IS improving. Berry banana is my favorite - with spinach leaves.