Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The newest Salatino Chef & recipe

While I was making dinner the other night, Chase decided he wanted to cook too. So he crawled into the pots and pans cupboard and pulled out every frying pan and then ventured over to the cupboard. He decided that it would be a Mexican night and pulled out some hard tacos.

"Chase cook", he says.
Every cook must taste test his work...

This has almost become a regular thing now when I am cooking/baking. He either pulls out every pot and pan or the bowls, teaspoons and measuring cups. When I was making Touchdown Brownie cups last night he wanted to "help". So on the counter he went and I gave him a couple of measuring cups with about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in each and a two teaspoons to stir his creation. And of course he had to taste test the sugar too.


While I'm cooking/baking, I try to tell him what I am doing. He's so cute because when I stop cooking and start cleaning up, he always "Mommy cook."


But now for the Potato Soup recipe as promised...


This was in one of my Quick Cooking magazines and I've been wanting to make potato soup all winter so when I came across this, I thought it was perfect. It is ready to eat in 30 minutes or less, perfect for the days I work.

I was a little skeptical because it calls for Swiss cheese and Brad hates Swiss cheese, but the cook's caption said that even those who don't like Swiss cheese like this soup...so I decided I was going to make it anyway.

I have this great little dicer thingy that my father-in-law got for me a couple of Christmas's ago. When I opened it, I was like, ok I'll never use this since I dice my own stuff. Well, let me tell you, I have used many times over. It's so fast and convenient and it worked wonderfully for this soup.

The soup came out absolutely delish and even better as leftovers.


Disclaimer: I don't necessarily measure the spices exactly, I am more of a taste tester. But I did generally follow the exact recipe below.



Chunky Potato Soup Recipe

"The first time I made this creamy satisfying soup, it instantly became our family's favorite," recalls Stephanie Moon-Martin of Bremerton, Washington. "It is perfect on chilly days. Even those who don't normally like Swiss cheese savor this delicious soup."

7 Servings
Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients
4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 small carrot, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
1-1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese

Directions
In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, carrot, celery and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; lightly mash.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 7 servings.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 283 calories, 12 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 599 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein.

Bon Appetite!!!

Since Chase wouldn't try it, something we work on daily, trying different foods. Why are toddlers so picky and weird about textures, etc. It can be very frustrating. But I always ask him to try or put some on his lips which he pursues to spit out as if I am poisoning him. Another day, another topic.

Well, since he wouldn't eat the soup he had potato popcorn bites or he calls them, balls. Plus some peas and fruit. And apparently Elmo wanted a potato ball too.

1 comment:

Queenb said...

LOL, I love how Elmo had some!!! Ella would feed Elmo if she ever had any food left!