Now remember this is my personal blog/journal so what I say is my personal opinion and thoughts.
I'm certain I am not the only person to be struggling with this whole H1N1 flu. Neither Brad, I or Chase have had the flu vaccine yet. I have been on the fence since the very beginning. I am not one to get shots and be injected with stuff that I have really no idea what it is. I have never had the regular flu vaccine even when I was pregnant with Chase. It didn't phase me one bit nor was I concerned that I didn't. But it's different now that I am responsible for a human being and my decisions can affect him and his well-being.
I have spent countless hours researching H1N1 and the vaccines. Why does Chase need two? What exactly are in them? One night I spent 1.5 hours reading and digesting everything I read. He needs two, from what I understand, is because they have mercury in them and 2.5 times the safe limit for his age. So if he gets one dose, 1/2 the mercury then a month later he gets another dose with 1/2 the mercury so he's not getting it all at once. The mercury acts as a preservative and you can request ones without. But then why will he still need two? Plus they have formaldehyde in them. Don't remember the amount, very little, but still. That night I couldn't sleep because my mind was racing so fast with concerns, questions and the unknown.
My OBGYN advised I get one, as all pregnant women are being advised to. I said only if they get mercury free ones. Well, this past Tuesday they did get them and I was first on the list. I called and said I changed my mind. First, I have NEVER had the flu shot so I have no idea how my body will react which makes me real nervous. And second, I still am not sure on the H1N1 vaccine.
But I think my overly concern about this whole H1N1 outbreak is that I have never been through something so mediaized and full-blown. But I don't trust this Administration and when people are all lining up and waiting for hours for something, it just freaks me out. Money and greed. Is it really that bad or is the media/government making it that way? What would it do to my unborn child? I know this all sounds completely crazy but it's all thoughts that have been running through my head daily.
I see/talk to those that don't think about it and just do it. While others, like myself, struggle. It has been at work and both the ladies I know that got it have two young girls, both 4. They both got it and are fine. Are the deaths that they are mentioning all that abnormal from the regular flu season? It is obviously all very sad and overwhelming.
So what decision is the right decision? Get it and question any health issue that might arise later in life? Question if I will have a healthy baby? or if not, was it because of the H1N1 vaccine? Am I risking my child's life and being irresponsible for not getting? I don't make decisions usually just because everyone else is doing it. That's I guess how I feel about this whole thing. I don't like being influenced by the government or media.
Well, that all being said I guess we are always presented with decisions that affect our children. I need to continue to pray for guidance.
6 comments:
Yeah, that's a tough one. We decided not to get it but then I saw the paper today and the front page article was on the three year old girl that died from the swine flu. It just makes you wonder if any decision you make will be the right one.
Stick to your intuition Dawn. You know the saying, "When in doubt.." Your post struck a chord with me, personally because those questions are the exact same ones I have been thinking. Why is this thing SO hyped up? Why are there are people (doctors, nurse, etc.) who are refusing to have this injected in their bodies? Maybe it will be fine, but why risk it?
I know this has been a concern for a lot of people- this vaccine is only for one strain of the flu. Remember that. Who is to say you would get a different strain? I think ultimately God is in control of our health and decisions, trust Him to make the right one. Personally I don't trust new drugs on the market at all. Too much media hype, not enough research.
I'm not paranoid about the swine flu. I don't think it is worse than any other flu as far as death totals are concerned. The only thing different about it is that it seems to be effecting children more than adults. THAT scares me a little.
I do get the flu shot so I'm not opposed to them. I don't think the H1N1 shot is any different from the ordinary flu shot. There's research on both sides of the issue that suggest you are dumb if you do or don't get the shot.
I do think that this has been hyped by the media and the government, but not for money, necessarily. I think it is hyped up to overshadow the health care debate. (Just my opinion)
I've prayed and haven't gotten that clear cut "yes or no" that would make this so much easier. I've decided to pray and ask God to make it available and convenient for me to get it if He wants my family vaccinated. I won't call around trying to find a clinic. I won't stand in line for hours, but if my doctor's office has it available, I'd consider it.
Anyhow, that's just my opinion. It's a tough choice and I don't think either decision is wrong as long as it's an informed, prayerful decision.
A couple links that you may have missed - the first one may of particular interest to you:
http://miscarriage.about.com/b/2009/09/29/some-pregnant-women-fearful-of-h1n1-vaccine.htm#comment-12992
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/11/03/What-We-Have-Learned_About-the-Great-Swine-Flu-Pandemic.aspx
I realize there are two sides to every debate, but when it is your body (and your child's) it is up to you.
I agree with everything that Michelle wrote. I have received the regular flu shot in the past and did fine with it. Even got one when I was pregnant with Eli but none of us have received the H1N1 vaccination. I don't like new vaccines. The chicken pox vaccine came out when Jordan was little and she didn't end up getting it until she was 10 or 11. I just didn't trust it at the time. Just keep washing those hands!! Good luck with your decision.
Post a Comment