Sunday, May 24, 2009

What's right for my child

Oh where do I begin. This week has been one of the most stressful times for me ever, or close to it, as a parent. I can tell I've been with lack of sleep and stressed because I haven't worked out and have been eating bad, bad food. And I have been a little irritable. My lil man has been so miserable all week and waking up for 1-2 hours every single night. He only started doing that this week since I began the bottle journey. I know it's not just the bottle because he's been eating his fist and fingers, so some teeth are surely going to pop through anytime.
But tonight was the breaking point for me. It has been five days that he hasn't had a bottle at all and it's not getting any better. I have been very consistent and he has been very consistently miserable. So tonight Brad and I talked about it and decided that what's right for my child right now in his life, is to have his bottle. It's his lovey, blanky, bear and I just took it away. It's his only source of comfort and really what harm is it for him to have it. He doesn't take it to bed with him and he doesn't use it as a sleep aid. He gets it before bath, then we read and then he goes to bed. I don't know if we made the decision out of guilt, stress, etc. but really I have peace about it where I didn't about taking his bottle away.
This first-time parenting thing is stressful. You want to do everything right. You know this whole thing started because I listened to another parent's comment, as innocent as it was, I took it to heart and thought Chase was behind. I read some books, searched the Internet and thought I was behind the game. And I read that overtime it can give him earaches and change the shape of his mouth the more he uses the bottle, so I was concerned for those reasons. But at his one year appointment on Monday, the pediatrician said I was ahead of the game, so then I was really confused. (BTW...he is 29.75" long and 21.5 lbs.) But I had already begun the no-bottle process and I decided to stick with it. And don't worry it was no one out in blog world that said that. But after one week of no sleep, a miserable child, messy house because I am too tired to clean it, no exercising, well, not as much as I would like, being stressed and on and on. I decided to give him his bottle. And I have peace, not guilt, but peace. And so does Chase. We are his parents, no one else, and we know what is right for him. So the bottle it is until we feel it is time to wean. And I will know when it is time.

If anything this past week, I have been taught a very, valuable lesson...I am his parent and I can't listen to everyone out there. I appreciate advice and guidance, since I am new to this, but I will not let comments affect me. I need guidance since this is my first go-round but that's it...guidance.

Oh and no more light switch problems, we finally moved his crib tonight.

4 comments:

♥ Amy said...

Aww, Dawn. Sending you a hug. I was hoping I hadn't hurt you in any way with my comments today because I understand how sensitive parenting is (especially when you're tired). And don't feel bad about not having it all figured out yet. As soon as you figure a baby out, he always changes. And then when the next one comes along, he's different too, and you start it all over again. I'm still confused with baby #11. But I do know a mommy's heart doesn't change. You always want what's best for your child(ren). Go with your heart. And if you and Brad are in agreement, what does anyone else's opinion matter anyway?

Now go get a good night's sleep. You deserve it.

Love, Amy

Michelle said...

We took away David's "plug" (pacifier)when he was 12 months old, but then we found that he carried his bottle around all of the time. He kept it in his mouth even when it was empty...his new pacifier. We didn't want to take both comfort things away from him at once so we let him keep his bottle. We may have let him keep it longer than we should, but at 18 months he gave it up on his own. No struggle, no crying.
Now, I'm not saying Chase should go to Kindergarten with his bottle, but I agree with Amy, follow your mommy instincts. It will not hurt him to keep this comfort item a while longer.
We recently made a trip to the dentist and, so far, it doesn't seem like David will need braces. (I was always concerned about the "changing the shape of your mouth" problem, too.) However,Katelyn, my former thumb sucker, will need braces.Oh, well.....

Stacy said...

Just so hear this from someone...anyone...everything will be ok! He's a year old and for him to have his bottle for a little while longer isn't going to hurt anything. Eli still has one in the morning and one at night. I've been trying to not give him one during the day but you know what he was really tired this afternoon and I gave him one. He was very happy and took a wonderful nap! What's good for one kid isn't always the best for another. As long as your baby is happy, healthy, and well loved then you are doing a great job which I know Chase is all of those. Happy sleeping!!

Julia said...

I hope your nights get better! HUG!!! It is so hard being a parent, like Amy said-every child is unique. We all do things a little differently with each child. I'm glad you figured things out. I hope you can get caught up on your rest and everything else too!