This time it was my turn.
I gave him four more ounces and again he was sleepy and laid down, sleeping. I crawled back into bed and "Waaaaa!". So I let lil' man cry for 20 or 30 minutes, hoping he would cry himself to sleep. Which I should know better, he doesn't do that. And unfortunately he figured out the contraption I put up that was supposed to keep him from turning the light switch on and off. Which meant he had his light on. So it has now a been about an hour and 15 minutes and he is still up.
Brad you're it.
He double checks his diaper, dry, no poopies. He is just so upset now that he is doing the "hicupping". At this time we brought him to bed with us and I cuddled with him. That lasted about 2 minutes and he became restless.
So we let him fuss it out, being very restless. At about the 2 hour mark, which was also 3 am in the morning, we both thought that maybe his teeth were hurting him. His other top two teeth are just about to break through, so we gave him some Motrin. 3o minutes later he was zonked out. Finally 2.5 hours later, we were all "sleeping ever after."
The next day, was his one year check-up. He weighed in at 21.5lbs and 29 3/4" inches long. I thought he weighed more seeing how he was 10lbs 2oz. when was born, but nonetheless, he is very healthy and happy. I told the doctor about weaning and she actually said I was ahead of the game. That made me feel good but then bad that I was denying Chase the love of his bottle. BUT then I thought, it will be so much easier weaning him now instead of 5 months from now. So even though I wanted to retract, I did not, consistency is key as I was told (Amy). I would confuse him otherwise.


He slept through no problem on Monday and I think that was because he had his immunizations and was exhausted. But not last night. 3:45 am he was wide awake but really I was expecting him to wake up. He had absolutely no bottle at all Tuesday, so I just had a feeling. And I was correct, momma's intuition maybe. But when he woke up we so wanted to give him a bottle, you know the quick fix. Well we stood our ground and offered formula in a sippy cup. He took it but wasn't thrilled.
He was again in our bed and at this point it started to get light, bad sign, less sleep ahead. But because of the light starting to peak through, he saw both of our water bottles on the our night stands. "D" he said, which means "drink" and he pointed. Brad grabbed his water bottle. Chase took a sip. "D" he said and pointed to my water bottle. I gave him a sip. Then the funniest thing, he is too smart. He noticed that our water bottles were similar in shape, size and both had a straw. He grabbed mine and put it next to daddy's and started laughing. It was the cutest thing. It was just so neat to see him put the two together and realize they were alike. Brad and I just laughed. It made being awake at 5 am worth it. That was so precious to me.
Now don't get me wrong, I would much rather be sleeping, but that moment is a memory forever, him laughing and babbling away at something new. So amazing. But I would rather not make any memories tonight. I'm sure the lack of sleep will catch up with me soon.

2 comments:
I love the pictures. And that hair in the 2nd one...too funny.
Chase should figure things out soon. Just keep those bottle hidden and don't give in. Not after everything you have been through. We have started cutting out the day bottles. We still give Eli his morning and night bottle but it's more out of convenience for us than anything. He takes his morning bottle while I am in the shower and Matt is still in bed (beside him) and then I'm so tired at night that I just don't have it in me to fight him with him. I'm having a yard sale in a couple of weeks and I would really like to sell all things baby so that includes bottles. We will see.
Just had to say that in spite of my great advice, I'm an old softie and I've been known to change my mind. I wouldn't have thought badly of you at all if you had given in. I never have learned to handle seeing my babies really upset.
That being said, I wish you the best. You're a good mommy, and it sounds like your smart little guy (aren't they just amazing?) will figure it out soon. :)
Post a Comment