Yes, in fact 9 years ago today Brad and I were joined together as one, Friday, May 26, 2000 @ 5:30pm to be exact. Boy how time flies, it seems as if just yesterday we were dating, now that has been 13 years. It's funny because I remember clear as day when we started dating, June 29, 1996 and the time and where we were. Then fast forward a few years, graduation, college, Air Force and I'm being asked to marry him.
In the past nine years, we have lived in many different places, six to be exact, thanks to the Air Force and our own decisions too. Ready babe to visit memory lane? :)
Our first abode was a tiny little apartment in Ft. Walton Beach, FL just outside the Air Force base. It was probably built in the early 60's and was nothing specatular, but they did have somewhat of a pet area where we faithfully played ball with Sierra every day after work.We moved to our second home nine months later. It was a duplex house on base, Hurlburt Field. This was a cozy, stark white walls home. We had a very, very small fenced in yard and the yard was nothing but sand. Just about any window you looked out you were staring at a neighbor, we were packed in like sardines. I did enjoy the warm weather early in the year. I remember it was February, actually my birthday, and I was out gardening, well trying. No matter how much top soil we used, it just wasn't happening in sand. But the base had it's perks, great walking/biking paths all throughout the base, just a short bike ride over the bridge and you were at the beach on the gulf. Of course there were more perks but I must move on.


After two years, we moved North to Goldsboro, NC where we bought our very first home. It was a cute little ranch in the country just a few minutes from our second Air Force base, Seymour Johnson. We had an acre and a half with a big shed. We bought picket fence and fenced in the whole backyard to give the dogs a big play area.

You know, they say that the South is a friendlier place and that is so true especially if you ever met our neighbor. He was an older gentleman who was truly a Southern rebel, complaining about our neighbors, but he was friendly to us anyway. Anytime he saw us outside, he would mosey on over and chat. These were actually more than just chats, you see good 'ol Eddy Brit loved to talk, oh and so did his wife. Oh my. We laugh now but it was tiresome at times. Brad would be out mowing and Eddy would stand by our fence until Brad shut off the mower and talked to him. There were a few times when Eddy asked for Brad's help and we had to scheme up a plan so that Brad could actually come home, otherwise Eddy would talk past dark. Our plan, I'll call you on your cell and tell you it's time for dinner, if you don't come in five minutes I'll holler out the door. He eventually was set free.
There are many great memories in this home and town but I must move on.
After exactly two years, well two days shy of two years, we sold our house and moved to Charlotte, NC. We had plans of residing in NC for the long term and decided to go to Charlotte, they have good racing too. We decided to rent before we bought a house, and ended up living in a two bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor, with no elevator, in pretty much the middle of the city. Moving a washer/drywer up three flights of stairs was interesting and yes, we moved everything all by ourselves. That's what happens when it's just the two of you, you manage to get things done yourselves.
It seemed like every weekend we would go house hunting, Huntersville, Statesville, Hickory, Concord, Matthews...you name pretty much any city surrounding Charlotte and we looked. But nothing was calling our name. We both worked in opposite directions and tried to find a house in between, it just wasn't working out. So on a whim one weekend after about three months of Charlotte, we decided to move back home to NY. It had been six years since we lived home and we missed it. So I called Katie and told her the good news, she thought I was lying...nope. We flew Jeff down and loaded our belongings and homeward bound we were. It was quite hilarious actually. Brad driving the truck and race car trailer with the dogs, I was in my car with the cat and Jeff was driving the u-haul. We each had a walkie talkie and were chatting the whole 12 hours drive home...straight through. Jeff the wisecrack he is, said to us as he was driving..."Whoa, I have all of your belongings in my care." Such a scary thought, but we made it.
Home number, five is it? Yup, Main St. We had no idea where we were going to live when we got home but we were coming. After two weeks bunking with his dad, we were able to move into a house on Main st. in Macedon that Brad's brother owned. Talk about a world of difference from a cute, country home in the southern country to an older, smaller home right on the sidewalk on Main st. I could look out our bedroom window and see the stop light and traffic. Let's just say 8 months was plenty long enough in this house, but I am very grateful it was avaialble for us to rent.
And number six...our current home. An old farm house on the hill. I love our home, even if it is set up kind of awkward with a small living room but I have everything I prayed for...a house on a hill with a view, big trees all over, a big yard, a big kitchen, and a jacuzzi tub. I have painted every room except our office, which is in the works. This house is our home and who we are, dirty/clean and inbetween. We even have a nice big pole barn for Brad. I love looking out the window to see the cornfields, then a white fence that keeps the neighbors cows in, and behind us another fence that holds the horses. This is now our "home" where we started a family. No matter how small it may feel at times with "stuff" all around us, it is perfect for us. However, I will remember if a number seven move is ever in our future to ask for a driveway that isn't so horrible in the winter. We had to buy 4-wheel drive truck just so we can get up.
So in our 9 years we have lived in six different places and three different states. It's amazing that we have been married for 9 years already and now we have a beautiful little boy. I thank God every day for a mother who prayed for me that I marry the man that God had planned and my soulmate. And because of her prayers and me listening to the Holy Spirit, eventually, we have a wonderful, happy marriage. Love you babe and look foward to many more.
5 comments:
Happy anniversary to you both! That story about living in the south and talking to your neighbor was so funny, and so typical of a lot of southern people! They do love to talk. And through all your moves it's neat you started your family in NY, close to your families!
I love this post! Thanks for taking me down memory lane and a chance to get to know you better. What a great life together you two have had already. Happy Anniversary!
Happy anniversary! I enjoyed traveling down memory lane with you, thanks for the trip.
:)
Dawn I loved this post :-) It was neat to hear your little journey and "see" a little of the life you and Brad have lived so far. Marriage truly is a blessing if you are married to the right one, I agree!
Happy Anniversary!!! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you ended up back in NY. I'm sure your families are glad, too.
Post a Comment