A few weekends ago, June 13 & 14 to be exact, we took our first family camping trip to Erie, PA. Erie Speedway was having racing three days in a row so we decided to make a family trip out of it. Instead of all three days, we just went Saturday and Sunday because I had to go the Gananda garage sales Saturday morning.
Saturday I woke up early and headed out garage saleing with Chase in tow. He actually fell asleep on the way so I scouted out the sales as I drove around. After a hurried 2.5 hours, we made it home to jump in the truck and head to Erie.
Once we got to the track, 3 hours later, I dropped Brad off at the track and then headed to our campground. Since we had the race trailer we couldn't tow a camper so we rented a rustic cabin, and when I say rustic, that might be an understatement. Well, it at least had a shower, if you call a drip a shower.
Chase and I made the bed and set up his pack and play. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, hang out at the cabin or go to the race. Well, I of course chose to go to the races. This would be Chase's first race so I wasn't sure how he was going to do. We stopped at McDonald's first to grab dinner and then headed to the track. When we arrived to the track we had awhile before daddy was to race so we watched the modifieds, vroom, vroom as Chase says. 


Instead of watching every class, we walked around and played. The track had this play area which included a big bouncy house and rock climbing. I dug out $1 worth of change so that we could play in the bouncy house. He had a blast, this is just one perk of being parents, we're allowed to "play" in the bouncy house and not get looked at like we're crazy.


After awhile it was finally daddy's turn. It was funny trying to point out daddy for Chase, he didn't quite get it. But he did enjoy watching the race for the most part. He was more interested in playing on the seats and eating his snacks. But he did watch them go round and round. After the race was over, we headed to the pits so say hi to daddy. As soon as Chase saw the race car he said "vroom, vroom" and wanted in. Brad was so proud. Chase stood in the seat, grabbed hold of the wheel and shook back and forth as he wiggled the wheel and screamed, "vroom, vroom". Too stinkin' cute.

We finally headed back to the cabin, way past Chase's bedtime. I laid him down in the pack and play for a goodnight's rest. Not. Chase was not having it, the pack and play, the unfamiliar place and did I mention the group of noisy people behind us having a campfire. I mean, that's fine and all, but they were laughing kind of loud and talking. So this of course distracted Chase and since this was our first rodeo, I didn't think to bring a fan or music for noise.
We brought him to bed with us, nope not happening. Long story short, it was a long. night. At around 4:30am, the people behind us were still up, as were we. I was so desperate for sleep that I called the two hotels down the road to see what it would be for just a few hours, $55 and $100, just to sleep in the room for 5 hours. Absolutely not. Finally, I don't remember how or when, but Chase fell asleep. And through all this we tried to keep him from crying, I mean it was late and it was a small campground. With the healthy lungs he has, I'm sure the entire campground would've been awake with us. So no crying it out.
Oh did I mention it was freezing. Even though it was the middle of June it was down in the 50's at night and I didn't bring sufficient blankets and the little space heater they provided did nothing. So that added to our misery and Chase's.
We had planned on visiting this little local church down the road but after that long night, we were a sight to behold and barley moving. Well, thankfully there's always morning and a new day. So we started the day off with breakfast outside, eggs and sausage. It was yummy and Chase enjoyed just roaming around our cabin.


The 2nd race wasn't until the afternoon so we headed out to Presque Isle State Park. What a huge and beautiful park. Unfortunately it was still cottonwood season, sniff, sniff, sneeze, and there was plenty of cottonwood, more like snowing in June. While we were driving we spotted a lighthouse, so of course we had to stop, photo opportunity. It was pretty cool, and someone actually lived in it. So neat.
After exploring a bit, we headed further onto the isle and ended up at a beach that I named the "kite" beach. Some kite enthusiasts had made it their home for the day and they had kites everywhere and even a dog to chase them. It was the neatest thing.
It was too chilly to get in the water but we let Chase put his feet in. He thought it was a little chilly too. It's funny to think that he wasn't walking on his own yet in all of these pictures.
Ready to hit the beach...sand + water + sun = fun.
Well, a little too cold for the "water" part of beach fun.
All dressed and ready for the beach but no swimming to be had so a family photo op will do.
It was time to head back for race #2. Even though the lake was too cold, it was certainly a warm day. Chase and I strolled around the pits and helped daddy get ready to race and watched the practices.
But after practice two, Chase was wore out and couldn't go on.

After a little nap, it was time to head home but lunch was a must before our long haul home. So we camped out at the track and pulled out our mini-grill and made lunch. While cooking our lunch, Chase played on the hill with his truck and my flip-flops. 

It was a long, sleepless weekend but so much fun. And the best way to break into our family trips. Racing has been part of our marriage from day one and involving Chase was so very important. Even though it was a long night, I wouldn't change a thing, that's just how our life goes and we make it through. I am just hoping the next camping trip will prove to include sleep.
2 comments:
Beautiful pictures of Chase :-) Yeah, I know exactly what you went through with the "first sleep-over" thing. For us, we were at Farihaven, and it was just so hot inside the cabin,even though I had actually brought Jack's little music thing (it's battery operated and goes on the end of his crib, plays nature music and I turn it on every night) But we have had much better luck with sleep-overs since then.
I'm so glad there is another car Mommy out there. We do antique/hot rods but still cars none the less. And what is with these kids and their 1st camping trip being cold? Eli's was too. We did manage to have our tent far enough away from the campfire so there wasn't any noise. I love the beach pictures of Chase. So cute!
Post a Comment