Thursday, August 6, 2009

Picking blackberries

I love July because that means BLACKBERRIES. I just love blackberries and so does Chase. We've been out many times picking and eating them. Sometimes they make it into the bowl but mainly into Chase's mouth, as soon as he sees me pick one he wants it. It's too bad that the mosquitos are so bad, picking blackberries hasn't been as enjoyable but still fun nonetheless.


Each year I plan on making jam but seem to eat them or forget. This year I finally bought some pectin but then when reading the recipe and saw it called for 7 CUPS of sugar, I just couldn't do it. The jelly I give Chase for his PB&J doesn't have any sugar, but All Natural made with fruit juices. So making it with 7 cups of sugar wasn't happening. I thought about making it with less but the recipe strictly said "Do not cut back on sugar." So having never made jam before I thought it best not to compromise the recipe. Maybe next year....




4 comments:

carrie said...

these are such sweet pictures of your little boy. I can't believe jelly has so much sugar in it. All that processed white stuff too. Can you substitute with raw sugar and less of it? I will have to remember to pick up some blackberries at the store before the season ends, I love fruit!

Julia said...

Cute pics! I make strawberry jam with 5 cups of sugar. I know it's not that much better, but we don't eat it everyday. It's a treat for the kids when they get some.

♥ Amy said...

Such a cute boy! Love the berry faces.

You can substitute white grape juice concentrate for sugar, but you need a special kind of pectin for no-sugar jam. I got mine at Sauders, but you can probably find it in a regular store, especially this time of year. I would Google for specifics.

Michelle said...

I've seen sugar-free recipes for jam online. I have never made it myself so I don't know if it's good or not. Trina says she uses raw sugar with hers.